Sunday, September 5, 2010

Great Month in Island Falls and Northern Maine - God's County

It’s August and my books have arrived . Now to see how they are received, reviewed and sell. And, I must admit, I am beyond excited to see and hear my friends' reactions.

My first book signing was at the Katahdin Public Library, the library in my hometown of Island Falls, Maine. Becky, the town librarian and historian, and person really responsible for this book, made this first book signing a reality. It was such fun: people came to get a signed book, their remarks made me giggle with pride and they purchased my book! “Yes, it is a book and the cover is beautiful. Thank you, so much. You want three. Perfect. Signed? No problem.” I had a blast.

The week was so full: Vacation Land Estates on Thursday afternoon with all their guests. Thursday evening was so much fun in Houlton. Linda Feucher, director of the Cary Library, had a book signing just before the Thursday night concert on the commons. This one my Dad came and he greeted all the book signers. I have to admit he was so proud. Isn’t it fun when you see how proud a parent is of you?

Friday was especially fun – Birch Point Campground and Cottages, the home of Joe Edwards and the Edwards’ Family, Chapter 3 in the book. When you read Life and Times, you will also discover many stories written about Joe and/or referring to Joe. Thank you, Andrea and Steve Edwards, for arranging this one, and thank you Andrea, for bringing your Mom. Hi, Rita, you look marvelous!


Sandy with Steve Edwards

Island Falls High School Alumni Banquet – Ava Joy convinced me to take my books, calendars and post cards to this grand event. There were so many people and the reaction was phenomenal. Thank you, school chums! My disappointment, I forgot the Giclée of Barker Rocks. I would have loved to see the reaction. Guess it will just have to live on my wall . . . wonder where that will be??

Sandy with Kevin Robertson

A week until the next book signing, but the fun part is knowing that when anyone says/questions/comments - they want a book, “I have them in my car!”

Weekend of Friday the 13th was Patten Pioneer Days: the Red Moose on Maine Street had a Craft Sale on Friday and the Lumberman’s Museum had their Beanhole Bean Dinner/fundraiser on Saturday the 14th. And I saw friends I haven’t seen for, we won’t go there, but I will tell you, we all look “exactly the same, only better!” Hi Kathy and Debbie!

Sandy with Francis


August 21st was the York's Book Shop -Book Fair. Lynn York had 12 authors, I think three magazines, and one newspaper, for his annual "York’s Book Fair." Again, I had such fun. I met people who remembered my Dad, Dr. Newman, the Island Falls veterinarian for 60 years, and asked about him. People purchased my book because of their memories of Pleasant Pond and the camp grounds, taking swimming lessons, their grandparents’ camp, or maybe dancing at or listening to the music drifting over the water from the pavilion. Whatever the reason, they purchased my book with fond memories. Thank you one and all!!

I thank everyone. I hope you all enjoy my book, and all the stories my friend contributed. It was a labor of love.

Thank you, everyone.
Enjoy your book
Sandy